Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Treadmill, I Heart You

Tuesday's run was a FAIL. Not an epic fail, mind you, just a fail. I went to the gym after work. I think I worried about it raining. Or being humid. Or possums chasing me. Or something. Maybe I just lost my outside mojo. Turns out I had no inside mojo either. I ran 2 slow, clunky, horrible miles. With walking breaks. I blame Oprah. And Justin Bieber.

(Sidenote: I am now officially old as I just don't understand the allure of Justin Bieber and his weird hair.)

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Us "runner people"...we don't love every run. Some days...we even dread the thought. Yesterday was one of those days. I just wanted to stay home, curl up on my couch, read a book and watch some Glee. My legs felt sluggish, my motivation was somewhere off in the stratosphere. I envied those who can just go home and lay on the couch. No negative self talk. No thoughts of weight gained and fitness lost. No constant review of the past days' meals and miles. One part of my brain knows I need the break, the rest. The other side won't let me stop.

I went back inside to the safety of the treadmill. The feeling of knowing that however much or little I ran, I was right where I started and the car and ride home were mere yards away. If you're on the treadmill and your entire body is saying, "Please STOP running." I can. And I don't have to run (or I guess walk) the way back. I was thankful to be on the treadmill because my run was so craptastic. I stopped, I went home, guilt-ate a bunch of Cheez-Its, and rested.

I rebounded nicely this morning. I ran 9 miles. I again opted for the treadmill this morning. The was a big threat of storms this morning. My adventures outside do not include thunder or lightning. Or hail.

(Sidenote #2 Only idiots run in hail. Guy who was featured on Runner's World because your arms were bruised up from your hail run. You're an idiot. I don't know who you are because I refused to read the article. I know some people hate the treadmill, but you can suck it once in a while. Especially if its hailing hard enough to bruise you.)

I realize I have to head outside either tomorrow or Friday. I'll go. I'll go. I'll go. I'll go. I'll go.

1 comment:

  1. I totally hear you on not understanding the allure of Justin Bieber.

    Hail and lightening = I run inside.

    Rain = Outside. But I find it a refreshing change from getting scorched by the sun (got drenched during the last 2 miles of this morning's run and it felt AWESOME. However, if it wasn't over 80 degrees I'd probably take it inside too!

    ReplyDelete