Sunday, May 23, 2010

51 miles total, 16 outside

I was a total wimp last week. I wussed out Sunday (not technically since Sunday is a designated indoor day), Monday, (rest day Tuesday) Wednesday, and Friday. Thursday and Saturday were outside for 9 and 7 respectedly.

In my defense, it rained a lot this week. Like every day. Seriously - I thought I lived in Forks, WA and vampires were going to move in. Then one would fall in love with me, I'd find out BoyToy is really a warewolf (wearwolf?), we'd get to go to Italy to fight the Volturi and then I'd never get old and always be really pale. Ahem...

Wednesday I ran at 6:00am and you know I refuse to run in the dark (that darn fear of being hit by a car) AND it rained. I have been shopping for more yellow running tops. I love my electric yellow Boston shirt from 2009 - you can see that thing from space! If a care were to hit me while wearing that all you'd have to do is take the shirt to court. The judge would take one look and the Kari-smasher would go to jail. I am all about being super visible.

I am taking baby steps in my outdoor running, which is an apt description because I am such a baby about it. I think through June, I'll stay with my goal of 3 days of outdoor running per week. July I'll step it up to 4 and complain about humidity. August is a crap shoot, as will be September. I don't know if I'll get to the point where I'll be an "outdoor" runner. I promise you there is a post in your future about how dirty my shoes are. I'm making progress though (and this better get me a fricken PR this fall!)

Its hard to believe training will start again in June. My friend, Greg Coplen, will be helping me along the way - writing my plan. I like when someone else does my running thinking for me. Like the treadmill does - I set the pace and try not to fall off the back.

Pacing has been a challenge for me outside. I'm always running too fast. The majority of marathon training is done at what is known as a "general aerobic pace", or GA pace. For me, this is 9:15-9:45 a mile. GA pace is 60-90 seconds slower than your marathon pace. My default pace seems to be about 8:50 per mile - it takes effort to go slower (maybe effort is the wrong word. Consciousness is probably the correct word. I don't like to think while running.) Running the slower pace gives your legs a break. It lessens the pounding.

It took me a long time to buy into the whole "train slow, race fast" philosophy. But its been one whole year since my last serious injury so there may be something behind it. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment