Thursday, May 27, 2010

The things I get myself into...

I work at a Golf and Country Club. It is well known here that I am a runner. (It also well know that I am a gerbil.) I have been asked on numerous occasions to run the golf course. I have never done it for a few reasons. 1. It is outside. 2. They run at 6am. 3. It is dewy in the morning. My shoes will get wet. And covered in grass. 4. I don't know if the people I work for should see me sweaty.

But as part of this outdoorsy endeavor...I finally said yes. I set my alarm for 5:27 am. I packed my bag (bonus of my work: showers available!) and breakfast last night. I even fell asleep before the new American Idol was announced.

I showed up on time and ran 2 laps around the course for 9 miles. My shoes are wet. My socks are wet. I think I am bringing home enough lawn clippings to mulch. But I survived. I didn't even see any creatures. I thought for sure I'd see a deer (Did you see the season finale of The Middle? Sue takes up cross country and on her morning run she gets hit by a deer - histerical!), but no deer. And no squirrels.

I have to admit, watching the sunrise on a golf course is one of the most beautiful things one can witness. The green grass, the tall trees, the blooming flowers...it makes you happy to be alive. I was thankful to have people to run with and access to an amazing trek. I mostly see golfers at work and it was nice to get to know another segment of our membership.

I ran probably 8 of the miles on the grass. I have to say...I think my shins and calves are going to be sore tomorrow. My legs are not used to undulation. Grass is supposed to be easier on your joints, but I'm a hurtin. Thank goodness tomorrow is a rest day. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment